THE DOCUMENTERY PROCESS
FINDING A FILM TOPIC
I have an idea/ subject, I want to make a film about and I am looking/ appropriate protagonists/ scenarios to convey my idea
I am given a task/ overall subject for which I will find a story/ protagonist
I meet people/ places that inspire me to make a film about them (and issue represented through them)
THE IDEA/ SUBJECT/ ISSUE
- why do I want to make a film about certain theme/ person.
- What other/ sub-themes does my convey
- Why is the film of social or political relevance
- How do I want to convey my subject
- Why respectively by what means does my subject qualify as a film subject
- interviews/ observations of situationens/ protagonists that realate to the film’s subject
- acquiring in-depth knowledge of the subject with the help of; archives, libraries, internet, interview with experts, …
- what is my story?
- What is my main focus on?
- What is my individual approach to the film/ subject?
- What is my attitude towards it?
- What questions do I have?
- How do I tell ny story:
- Choice and number of protagonists
- What or which situations do I want to observe with the camera?
- How I am planning to tell the story/ storyline?
- What is the style/ form of my film i.e Cinema Verite (intervening) or Direct Cinema (observing)
PLANING AND FINANCING THE SHOOT
- putting a team together.
- Number/ location/ dates of shooting days
- Shoting schedule for every day , include preparation for interviews.
- Budgeting and financinf schedule.
The creative process is an interplay of planning and intuition. Every shot should be well prepared. Nevertheless you should be open to follow your instincts and ajust to the circumstances that you find in reality.
- communicating at the set.
- Watching/ screening rushes after every shoot
- Digitising or importing the footage/ screening/ transcription/ structuring
- Rough edit: in a creasingly densified version of the film you develop form (logic material) and structure of the film.
- esthablising locations/ people
- passing of time (i.e. a journey / continuous time..)
- the outer logic of events (what happens whend and why)
- the inner logic (what ‘story’ do I want to tell ? what stands at the beginning of my (inner) story , what has it developed to towards the end?
- Final edit; every picture/ scene/ sequence/ transition from one scene to the next of the film gets it’s final length
- Soundmix , color correction, title credits , mastering
- Sills/ posters/ postcards
- Bio/ filmografi director
- Articles/ list of festivals
TREATMENT (WHAT/ HOW /WHY)
- picture/ situation that represent the film / subject
- description of people / places / story
- (in depth description of protagonists)
- questions posed relating to people / subject and to be explored ( not necessarily answered ) in the film
- possible events/ storyline of the film
- formal approach
- director steatment